If you want to keep up more easily with the posts on this blog or on the Hero Blog, enter your email address in the box at the right. Our posts will be emailed right to your inbox! It happens often a day later than the post goes up, but you won’t have to remember to come back here to visit. (Note – you’ll need to sign up separately for each of our two blogs.)
This post is especially for those first stumbling onto our site – and we want to say WELCOME to the OWH family! We know you have some quick questions right off the bat, so here are the answers to the most commonly emailed questions!
Where do I send my cards? Our shippers are listed on the MAILROOM page under the flashing arrow. (Watch the cool mailroom video while you’re there!)
What are the basic requirements? There are more tips on each page of our website — but if you follow these, you’ve got a great start:
- No glitter. Seriously. It’s a hazard for our heroes, so we won’t send cards with any glitter that will flake off the card. Read more.
- A2 sized cards. Most efficient for our shipping dollars, so we strongly recommend A2 (4.25″ x 5.5″ – half a sheet of cardstock). Read more.
- No storebought. Yep, pretty straightforward. Our heroes don’t like them, so we send them our cards filled with love and creativity! Read more.
- Watch the deadlines. We have to mail cards 5-6 weeks ahead of a holiday, so check out the deadlines posted on our homepage, on the left side. Those are the very last last last dates, so aim for a couple weeks earlier if at all possible, since we start shipping 8 weeks ahead.
- Any quantity. One card to 100 to 500 — every card matters! We recommend emphasizing quality over quantity…relax, do your best, and pour lots of love into each card!
- Packing Slip. Download this handy packing slip and write in your contact info and quantity—the shipper will be able to email you to let you know your cards arrived. If you haven’t heard back you can also check the Thankful Thursday post each week to see if they’ve arrived. Our shippers get lots of packages every day, so please give them some grace in getting back to you.
Can I write to a hero? Sure! Include one or two with each package of cards—just a short note to encourage a deployed warrior! Read more.
Who do I make a donation check out to? Write it out to Operation Write Home. You can send a check (or a few dollars) to any of the shippers when you send in your cards. You can also send in a gift via Paypal. Your donations are tax deductible. Read more.
What’s the best way to keep up with OWH? Join thousands of our cardmakers on our Facebook Fan Page! You can see a preview of the fan page off to the right in our sidebar of this blog.
How do I get an OWH stamp for the backs of my cards? Check out the links here! (You can send your cards in without the backs stamped, but it speeds our shippers’ work if you’re able to take care of that before mailing them in!)
How do I package up my cards? Any kind of packaging is fine! Boxes, bubble or manila envelopes, whatever works. Check out the link here for some tips that could save you some shipping money, as well as a little more about packing.
Hope everyone had a BLAST this weekend! Frankly, we had some nervousness about how all our cardmakers were going to receive our big changes; our heroes have totally bought in, but we weren’t sure of the stateside reaction. But you’re all such wonderful, gracious supporters! Thank you for the positive comments and excitement over it all….we only had 2 upset emails – out of hundreds and hundreds!
One of our cardmakers asked where a particular post from the old discussion board ended up at. It’s the one with the poems for AnyHero cards — most of the other posts were general questions, but we copied over the post to this blog. So how do you find it? The search feature! If you type in the word “Poems“, it will bring up a link to that post. We’ll be adding posts with keywords like that regarding other content you all ask for, so hopefully the search box will become our friend!
Challenges and Card Drives
Instead of hosting a page that keeps getting outdated, we’re going to try listing all the challenges, cardmaking parties, and card drives we know about on a post every Sunday.
Tis the Hero Challenge
Fa la la la la! It’s almost Christmastime at OWH! That means it’s time for a challenge!!
The “Tis the Hero” challenge runs from Sept 1 – Oct 15th; note that our deadline for holiday cards is Nov 1, but early birds get the benefit of qualifying for one of our prizes! Last year we mailed 35,000 cards during Sept through Nov, how many will we get out to our heroes this year??
PRIZES! We have some stamp sets and other goodies to share – we’ll be showing photos on the Homefront Blog soon! (Sorry, with the birthday party, we’ve been just a little busy!)
Note: This year we’ll also count non-Christmassy cards – last year we had lots of Christmas ones, but had no birthday or love cards, and some of our contacts missed getting those! So – of course the heaviest emphasis is on holiday cards, but feel free to add in a few others too!
Bloggers, snag blinkies from our photobucket account; grab the SECOND line of code (“Direct Link”).
Canton, Texas cardmaking event!
SATURDAY, SEPT. 26, 2009 2:00-6:00 p.m.
Come and join us in making cards and/or writing letters to our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. Bring your supplies and we can enjoy a few hours of designing cards and writing heartfelt letters. Additional supplies will be available.
Location: Sister’s Café, 1350 S. Buffalo (198), Canton, Texas
Extra supplies needed: Cardstock paper, scissors, glue or adhesive,
Contact: Email OWH and we’ll pass your info to event coordinator, Karen K.